B H M C C Race Report - 24th September 2006

Brierley Hill hosted their "des Nations alternative" motocross on Sunday 24th September. Early morning mist as the paddock filled lifted to be replaced by early morning rain, nay, thunderstorms. I was lucky enough to be sat in the lap van as what seemed like a never ending line of dripping wet riders from all over the country signed in as late entries.

Just as the last late entry was signed in, the rain gave way to glorious sunshine which remained throughout the day. This left the track in perfect condition ready for the day ahead.

Racing went as planned with one small change to the program - an additional race added to split the Experts group. This was also the final round of the Border Group Championship.

Under 18 Juniors were first to go with a win for Marcus Carter, followed home by Brierley Hill's own Matt Gilbert. Marcus had a problem in the second race and didn't score for the rest of the day leaving the overall to Sedgley's Daniel Moore who had a 7th in the first race follwed by two wins. Kyle Smith and Matt Gilbert battled it out in the second race with Kyle coming out on top in this particular encounter, finishing in second. A second place in the last race for Matt gave him 2nd Overall. Kyle missed out on the trophies due to scoring no points in the first race. 3rd overall went to Ted Sanders from Teme Valley with a 4-4-3 scorecard. Other Brierley Hill members were Richard White and Jamie Parry who rode well but both failed to score.

Next up were the 125 Juniors Over 18. Somehow there were two number 295's in this one - Wolverhampton's Mike Keenan and CHV's Justin Goucher - but the lap scorers were up to the job and picked out who was who. Mike Keenan won the first two but failed to turn out in the last race. He took 2nd overall as his 30 point haul was 2 more than Justin who finished with a 5-2-3 score. Matt Maund was the benefactor and took first overall scoring 2nd, 3rd and taking the win in the last outing. Brierley Hill's Steve Lane rode hard and finished with 20 points. Lee Edwards also had two scoring rides.

Open class Juniors next up and the first maximum of the day. Stu Brown from Bridgnorth taking 3 wins leaving Worfield's Steven Taylor, Chris Jones from Ross, Teme Valley's Sam Weatherstone and Worcester's Justin Dorkins to battle for 2nd and 3rd. Going into the final race Steven and Chris had a 2nd and a 3rd each, with Sam scoring 4th and 5th. Justin Dorkins took 2nd in the final race behind Stuart Brown but he had failed to score in the first race. Sam crossed the line in 3rd but missed out on a pot as Chris Jones's 4th gave him the 2nd overall and Steve Taylors 5th gave him the nod for 3rd place. Brierley Hill's Craig Thomas found it rough going on his Maico, prompting a switch to Mark Lees' Honda and managed a 10th in the final race. Mark wasn't riding - I heard he was a bit worse for wear from the previous evening. John Hammond was the other Brierley Hill rider in this class, I suspect he too may well have had a bit of an hangover.

Brierley Hill had 3 riders in the 125 Senior class which was won by Liam Davies, on a day licence, with 3 wins. If it wasn't for Liam Brierley Hill would have taken all 3 trophies as they finished in 2nd 3rd and 4th overall. It was young Ryan Marshall who took 2nd with a 4-2-2 and kept Liam on his toes. Jamie Cooper took the final pot finishing 2nd in the first race followed by two 3rd places. Dave Lane was the one who missed out with a 3-4-5 card, Teme Valley's Daniel Morris nicking in to take fourth in the final race.

The usual full line-up of open class Seniors was won by Brierley Hill's Tim Alberts who did just enough with a 1-2-2 after Edward Huffer's (CHV) fourth place in race one left him a point short of the overall despite winning the final two races. A consistent David Padfield took 3rd after scoring 3-3-3 for 30 points. Dave Lane took a dual entry on his 125 so was not eligible for points , but Lee Foxall finished a creditable 8th in race two. Dave Booton also was in this race but didn't manage to get into the points.

Craig Chamberlain took 3 wins out of three in the open class experts. He was followed home by Jamie Dobson who was non scoring (dual entry), so second place went to Cannocks Dale Halls who scored 3 second places. Teme Valley's Andy Willets took 3rd with a 3-5-4 score. Brierley Hill's very own commentator, Andy Mantle scored a 3rd place finish in the 2nd race but his 8th place finish in the first race left him 6 points behind in 4th Overall.

The Inter Juniors seemed to enjoy the long, natural track, especially 12 year old George Hough who won all three races for a maximum 45 points. 2nd overall went to Cannock's Grant Sadler who took a 3rd in the first race and followed that up with two 2nd places. It was close run for third with the first races 2nd place finisher Leon Hubble tying on 26 points with Teme Valley's Jack Hinwood. The verdict went to Jack thanks to him finishing just in front of Leon in the final race. Brierley Hill club had Josh Thomas, Stefan Chiltern and Liam Chiltern riding in this one. Stefan was the top rider with two 10th place finishes.

125 Experts were the last to go and it was Brierley Hill's championship rider Andy Marchant who stayed on to win the first race. Dale Halls (Cannock) crossed the line in second ahead of Worfield's Jamie Dobson. Jamie then won race 2 with Dale Halls again finishing in second place. Phil Lloyd took third spot ahead of the recovering Andy Marchant. Craig Chamberlain, who was on a dual entry and had crossed the line in front in both races, sat out the last race (some say he went to the pub as he had won the £50 raffle prize). Going into the final race of the day, ran with the sun low on the horizon, the standings were Jamie Dobson - 25 points, Dale Halls - 24 points and Andy Marchant 23 points so either one of these riders could take the overall. It was Jamie Dobson who came out in front being put under pressure by Andy Marchant. Jamie kept his cool until a small mistake by Andy (another one!) left Jamie clear to take the win and first overall. Andy took 2nd and Dale Halls crossed the line 3rd to take the final pot. John Downes kept going until the very end and was rewaded with a wel deserved point.

Despite a later than planned start to the day, the meeting ran well with no red flags, although there were one or two minor injuries that the first aid had to deal with, three full blocks of racing were completed and the meeting finished before 6pm. Brierley Hill club wish to thank all it's members for a well run meeting and thanks also to those who came to race. We hope you enjoyed your day and hope to see you again next year.

Simon, BHMCC